The Other Two

The Gili Islands, August 16 2010

On North of Lombok are 3 popular islands, often referred as "The Gili Islands". "Gili" means "island". Those 3 islands are Air, Meno, and Trawangan. I've told you already about Gili Air. There's much to tell and show about Gili Air as we stayed overnight there. The next day we took a boat and went across to Gili Trawangan, had lunch on Gili Meno, and returned to Gili Air.

Actually this boat tour was for snorkelers. I didn't have time to buy my own snorkel before leaving for Lombok, so I didn't join the whole group snorkeling. I understand that the boat fare includes snorkel rent. But I just cannot do that. I can use a public fin, but not a public snorkel which is something that goes from one mouth to another. It's more than disgusting. It's scary.

That feeling worsen after my first bath in Sunrise Hotel, Gili Air. At first I thought I was soaked with sweat so terrible that the sweat dripped all over my face and into my mouth. Then I realized that although clean, the water running from the shower and tap were salty water.

The next morning, while waiting for our boat to come, I watched a woman wash snorkels in a basin. The water in that basin didn't look clear. I know she used soap, because there were small foams floating in the basin. But she just rubbed the snorkels crudely, the way a "tukang bako" washes his dishes in a pail. I'm no physician, but I can imagine what's floating inside the snorkels. If I rent one of them, I'll put it into my mouth, suck it, and... I can choose whether to have a European virus, American virus, Japanese virus (there are many Japanese tourists in Lombok), or a Chinese virus.

The woman seemed to sense that I was watching her with a hundreds of thoughts running in my mine. If it were a comic, there would have been a big, big, big cloud above my head. She looked up at me and then hurriedly brought the whole basin into her hut.

Do germs actually die in salt water??

This is a product of my cellphone, Nokia N86. I didn't want to risk my faithful travelmate, EOS 50D and its 2 kids (not kit), being exposed to sea water.

You can call me silly, but I'm proud of this picture, because I could capture the water splash and in a not-too-bad composition.

That's Gili Trawangan afar. It does look crowded. "Party Island", some people say.
Yes, Gili Trawangan is the most crowded island among the 3 islands. You can fine almost all sorts of entertainment on this island. Either you are a bookworm (there were several book stores) or a "karaoker" or both.

I and Frank agree that among the 3 islands, Gili Trawangan has the most beautiful beach. It has the most whitest sand, although not as smooth as the sand at Tanjung An. I didn't makeover this photo and color the sand white. It IS white!

 One thing I regret is the underwater life. We had a glass bottom boat, so I could see the coral reefs beneath us. Before I left for Lombok, I read a travelers note somewhere in the internet, and it seems that what he said was true. The most pitiful underwater life is the one around Gili Trawangan. The reefs are dead. Yes, I could see that clearly through the glass bottom. And even from above the sea, because the sea water is so clear, you can see huge brown spots. Those are the dead reefs.

Our boat wasn't this big. Maybe this the boat that goes from Lombok to Bali.
Here we are in Gili Meno.
This is the view from where we had lunch... still in Gili Meno.

No comments:

Post a Comment