The Office


Senggigi, August 15th 2010

Senggigi wasn't in my itinerary, because I thought Senggigi was over popular. "Over popular" means too many tourists thus too many vendors as well. But on the way from Selong Belanak heading north, our driver suggested that since it's fasting month and most restaurants in remote areas are closed, it's better to have lunch in Sengigi. I couldn't agree more to that. The reason why I didn't want to visit Senggigi was at the same time the reason why there must be plenty restaurants open in Senggigi.

Moreover, I thought, most people might consider it stupid to travel to Lombok without visiting Senggigi. So, at least I can tell them that I've been to Senggigi. I just asked our driver to take us to a place where we could have a meal while enjoying the sea view. He took us to "The Office Bar & Restaurant". I think it's a unique name for a restaurant. If only my office in real life was like this...

... wait! Before we enter The Office, let's stop awhile. Unique roof tops, don't you think? That represents the Sasak people's granary. Under that curved roof top is usually an open air space where the farmers chatter with their fellows or take a nap.

And now let's enter The Office. Welcome to Senggigi and its beach. Our driver knew exactly what I wanted.

This place could be a perfect office for me, except for one thing: WiFi. It's rather odd that in such a big restaurant like this, in a city called "Senggigi", no WiFi is provided.

Other than WiFi thing, it was a comfortable place. With a cup of Lombok coffee next to me, I checked emails using IM2 (in EDGE mode) and reviewed my shots. I ordered for a cup, but got a medium size jar. I helped myself with the second refill, and there was still some left. It's a pity that Frank is not allowed to drink coffee. If only I had the guts to ask the waiter to pour the rest of this coffee into a plastic bag or something. I myself didn't dare to drink too much coffee in a single day. I learnt my lesson in Sapa already.

After several meals with Indonesian food while in Lombok, I decided treat myself by returning to my favorite European food. I just believe my tongue is made for it.

You see little plate full of cheese powder? I just love it!!

Senggigi Beach was sunny and perfectly hot. It was crowded, but not as crowded as I had imagined considering that it was high season.

Having done with my yummy spaghetti, I got down from The Office, and walked along the beach to the left side. Motor boats lined up on higher ground. Some of them were paitned colorful.

I kept on walking and found that the harsh sunshine did not stop people from having fun on the beach.

I admire these boys, because they can run bare foot on the sand. When I took off my sandals, the sand was like hot steel under my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment